pg. 23 (Textile Process)

Beginning sketches where I mapped out the landscape and decided which piece of fabric I would use where. On the right page, you’ll see a few different compositions I was first considering.

Beginning sketches where I mapped out the landscape and decided which piece of fabric I would use where. On the right page, you’ll see a few different compositions I was first considering.

I first map out the landscape on a blank piece of canvas using graphite, and I use this outline, along with transfer paper, to cut out each individual piece of fabric to form the collage. I first pin down each piece of fabric as I go, and then once every piece has been placed and pinned, I hand-sew the entire collage, and then go over it a final time with my machine for a cleaner touch.

I first map out the landscape on a blank piece of canvas using graphite, and I use this outline, along with transfer paper, to cut out each individual piece of fabric to form the collage. I first pin down each piece of fabric as I go, and then once every piece has been placed and pinned, I hand-sew the entire collage, and then go over it a final time with my machine for a cleaner touch.

I typically finish the background before I begin working on the subject.

I typically finish the background before I begin working on the subject.

Background detail.

Background detail.

For the leopard, I primed and gessoed a piece of canvas, sanded it, and added a layer of white oil paint. Once the paint dried completely, I drew the leopard over top using graphite, put a final layer of varnish on top to preserve it, and then cut it out and sewed it onto the landscape background.

For the leopard, I primed and gessoed a piece of canvas, sanded it, and added a layer of white oil paint. Once the paint dried completely, I drew the leopard over top using graphite, put a final layer of varnish on top to preserve it, and then cut it out and sewed it onto the landscape background.

This piece was originally intended to be wrapped around stretchers, but I decided I actually liked the unplanned outcome of the non-stretched version even better.

This piece was originally intended to be wrapped around stretchers, but I decided I actually liked the unplanned outcome of the non-stretched version even better.